Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Tavolino offers some of Tucson's best Italian


The first thing that comes to mind when I think about Tavolino Italian restaurant is "make a reservation". The second thing that comes to mind is that I'm close to enjoying some of the best Italian cuisine in town. This little family run restaurant (and I do mean little; there are only 12 tables) has been hopping since it first opened in 2004. Though small, Tavolino has a lot of charm in an elegant, urban sort of way. With white walls and tables clothes, subdued lighting and candles on each table, dining at Tavolino can be a romantic experience if you want it to be. Still, the tables are very close together, so don't say anything you don't want you neighbors to hear! Whenever I've dined there I've seen more small groups then couples, but it's never been so noisy that I couldn't hold a conversation, so it's great for whatever your planning. There's a small bar which may seat four or five people uncomfortably (pretty crammed), but the liquor selection is limited so the bar isn't a place where people hang out anyway. Service has always been great whenever I've dined there, and the wait staff seem to know their business. Tavolino is located in a strip mall (the Safeway shopping center) in NW Tucson, but don't let that fool you. Once you get inside you'll forget your in Tucson.

As I said the food at Tavolino is some of the best Italian you can find in Tucson. The menu consists of a small number of entrees, maybe 12, but there's a lot of variety so you sure to find something you'll like. Tavolino offers several appetizers, but I never order these because I'm always saving room for desert. I also tend to fill up on the warm ciabatta bread and olive oil they bring to the table. I do love my carbs! Still I try to eat a well balanced meal so I make sure I start with a salad. My favorite is the insalata Tavolina, which is fresh romaine with garlic croutons, vinaigrette dressing and a few sliced tomatoes to garnish. It's a nice, lite salad that's a great start but not too filling.

Entrees at Tavolino include several pasta options, steak, chicken, lamb chops and generally some type of fish. When I dine Italian I always go for the pasta, and you'll find incredible selection here because it's all homemade. I think I've mentioned I like clean flavors that aren't overwhelming, and everything I order at Tavolino satifies that desire. The Lasagna is my favorite. Though lasagna tends to have the same ingredients (layers of pasta filled with creamy cheese and a meat ragu), Tavolino's is very fresh and doesn't feel quite as heavy as some. I've also enjoyed a wonderful Penna pasta with mushrooms and sausage in a tomato cream sauce. Yum! During a current visit my girlfriend ordered the Ravioli filled with butternut squash and topped with a lite butter sage sauce. This combination of flavors was incredible and perfect for Fall. Another friend fell in love with the grilled chicken that's marinated in lime juice and rosemary. Although I don't like to eat anything that's on a bone (I don't like anything that requires too much work to eat) I have to admit it looked and smelled wonderful. The roasted vegetables and red potatoes that accompanied it made my mouth water. Entrees at Tavolino aren't too big so you won't be left with that "what have I done" feeling after your meal.

As I mentioned Tavolino does have a bar but if you want something other then wine your choices are limited. There are a few beers and liquors, and a good wine selection that's not too pricey. My husband and I don't drink much Italian wine so we usually depend on our server to help us make a selection. The wait staff is very knowledgeable about the wines offered and we've gotten great recommendations.

I mentioned that I always save room for dessert, but when I've gone overboard and don't have a lot of room left I go for the Affogato (vanilla gelato with a shot of espresso on top). It's still lite and gives me that much needed pick me up after a hearty Italian meal and wine. Tavolino also has an incredible Tiramisu and a to die for chocolate custard with caramel sauce (the Bonet).

After all my great experiences with Tavolino I have to say it's one of my favorites. The prices are a little higher, with most entrees running between $12 -$20, but the food makes it all worth it. Dress is business casual (don't wear torn jeans and flip flops!). And remember, make a reservation!




No comments: